What does pedagogy mean to you?
To me, pedagogy means thoughtful and intentional teaching practices whose primary goal is not only to impart knowledge, but also to inspire critical thinking, curiosity, and a love of learning. Pedagogy represents the methods and approaches that teachers use to engage us, develop our understanding, and enable us to grow academically, emotionally, and socially. In addition to imparting knowledge, it is more important to create meaningful learning experiences based on the different needs of each of us. It involves adapting instructional strategies to encourage active participation and creating a supportive and inclusive environment where we feel motivated to explore and take ownership of our learning. It requires a balance between structure and creativity, reflection in practice and continuous development to meet the changing needs of education and society.
In my own learning process, pedagogy has influenced my learning outcomes. For example, behaviorist pedagogy helped me to master core knowledge through repeated practice at the foundation stage; cognitivist approach helped me to enhance my analytical and problem-solving skills through information structuring and understanding of complex concepts; and constructivist approach enabled me to gain a deeper understanding of the subject matter through collaborative work and real-world projects.
1. the behaviorist reward mechanism was very effective for me in the early stages, reinforcing my motivation to learn through feedback from exams and quizzes.
2. the cognitivist structured learning approach helped me to make sense of complex problems and break down knowledge points, which was particularly useful in analyzing and reasoning in economics.
3. constructivist project-based learning and group discussions allowed me to gain deep understanding in more complex areas and encouraged me to collaborate with others and learn to think from multiple perspectives.

Networked pedagogy in action:
Networked pedagogy is an approach to teaching and learning that emphasizes connecting people, resources, and ideas through digital networks. One such approach is online learning, through which I am able to access course content and learning resources anytime, anywhere, and learn at my own pace. This flexibility is particularly suited to situations where I have a busy academic schedule or a tight schedule, helping me to better balance my studies and life. At the same time, the rich resources provided on the online learning platform far exceed the limitations of the traditional classroom, and I can browse the content I need more easily and quickly.
Through the e-learning method, I am able to connect with classmates, teachers and even experts from all over the world. For example, I’m in China right now and in this semester’s EDCI 335, I need to participate in online discussions and collaborate on projects with my fellow group members. We utilize online collaboration tools such as WeChat, Google Docs, Zoom, Teams, etc. to share our ideas, data analysis. Our teacher provided us with a media software called Mattermost, and our whole class was a Channel in which the teacher would usually post messages, while we could also pull exclusive discussion groups for the group to discuss. Technology plays a key role in facilitating these connections. Video conferencing tools allowed us to discuss in real time, online forums gave us the opportunity to discuss issues and get feedback, and collaboration platforms allowed us to synchronize our work and edit documents. Overall, online pedagogy has made learning more open, interactive, and global, and the use of technology has allowed me to not only collaborate with my peers, but also access a wider range of learning resources and support.

Learning theories in practice:
I am particularly interested in constructivist learning theory, especially the possibility of applying it to online learning environments. Constructivism suggests that I can actively construct knowledge by interacting with my environment and others, rather than passively receiving information. It emphasizes the promotion of deep learning through authentic situations, social interactions, and personal experiences. The application of constructivism in online learning environments can significantly enhance the effectiveness of self-directed and collaborative learning. The online learning environment provides a wide space for project-based learning. By designing projects based on real-world problems, I can explore and solve problems with my group members. At the same time, I can interact with members and build knowledge in real-life situations through online forums, video discussions, and collaborative platforms. If I were to apply constructivism to my learning, I would focus more on active and reflective learning, and enhance my understanding through self-directed exploration, collaboration with others, and application of knowledge in real-world situations. In the study of economics, this approach would help me to better understand complex theoretical knowledge through real-world data analysis and group discussion.

Role of the lecturer:
I see the role of the lecturer in an online course as a guide, supporter and facilitator of learning. Compared to the traditional classroom, the instructor in online learning must focus more on integrating technology and instruction to create an environment that supports student self-directed learning and collaboration. Because online learning lacks immediate face-to-face interaction, students are more reliant on instructors to provide timely and detailed feedback. Good tutors are able to respond quickly to students’ questions and help them overcome barriers to learning. At the same time, tutors need to be proactive in checking on students’ progress, providing personalized advice, and ensuring that students always receive the support they need. In my last semester’s AE319 course, what I remember is in our Final project, the instructor explained the project by breaking it down and letting us gradually complete it step by step at each stage of the course, instead of just giving us a homework requirement and letting us understand and complete it on our own. The teacher guided and taught us step by step with great care and gave each of us individual meeting time in between to discuss each of our topics.

Exploring the digital space:
Digital learning allows me the flexibility to study on my own schedule, especially if I have a heavy academic load or other time constraints. It allows me to balance academics, work, and my personal life, and to choose the pace of my learning based on my personal progress. Online learning tools and platforms offer personalized learning paths that provide advice and feedback based on my learning behaviors, progress, and needs. This personalized experience helped me master content more effectively, especially for an economics major on some of the more complex economics concepts. At the same time, the autonomy of digital learning requires strong time management skills. Without a set study time or physical classroom, it is easy to procrastinate or lose track of your learning. Therefore, I had to learn to self-monitor and plan my study time to ensure that I kept up with the pace of the course. Whether in online learning forums or social networking platforms, I actively participate in discussions and share my views. This not only helps me to interact with others, but also helps them to better understand the issues.