1. What is distributed education?

I consider our current online web course to be a form of distributed education. We use Brightspace to submit assignments, complete quizzes and take online exams. We also have access to the learning materials posted by the instructor. This is very different from traditional education, which allows students to study at different times and locations. Unlike the traditional face-to-face model, students can study on their own schedule, resulting in a better academic and life balance. Distributed education can break down geographic and economic barriers and make education more accessible to more people. No matter where they are, if they have an Internet connection, students can study and complete course assignments. For example, if I am in China now, I can complete the tasks of this lesson through Brightspace even though there is a time difference.

1. What is open education?

With the development of internet technology and the creation of various social media, we can access all kinds of knowledge and news even without leaving our homes. I think that TikTok and YouTube, which have many creators posting content, are a form of open education. They have their own profit model, but the viewer is free when accessing the video content. Open education significantly lowers the financial barrier to education, making quality education more accessible to a wider range of people. This is especially important for learners from less economically privileged backgrounds. The flexibility and accessibility of open education enables people to learn and self-improve at any stage, supporting the goal of lifelong learning and skills development.

1. Modes of learning

I think different learning modes for different time periods are better options for everyone. For example, when I was sick, online learning was more suitable for my current situation than face-to-face learning. For me personally, I think I prefer online learning, but I am more suitable for face-to-face learning. Because I am a person with poor self-control, if I choose online learning all the time, I may not be able to organize my time reasonably, which will have a great impact on my learning progress and the completion of my homework. However, face-to-face learning can make me more self-disciplined as well as timely completion of course tasks. Therefore, I prefer a blended learning model that combines the two. While I need to study face-to-face, I can also make my time freer and more flexible through online learning.

1. Digital literacy

Open and distributed learning environments often use online learning platforms and resources, and learners need to be digitally literate to use these platforms effectively, such as uploading assignments, participating in online discussions, and accessing course materials. For example, we need to understand and be familiar with the use of Brightspace as a platform for learning, and in some courses, we will use Teams, Mattermost and other platforms to communicate with the instructor and classmates. Digital literacy is critical in open and distributed learning environments, affecting not only how effectively students use technology tools, but also how they manage and evaluate information, keep their data safe, and collaborate online. Improving digital literacy can significantly improve the learning experience and enable students to better adapt to and utilize digital learning environments.

1. Digital identity

For a senior economics student, good digital identity management can help me establish a positive personal brand as I approach the workplace and build a solid foundation for my future career. However, the social media I currently use on a regular basis, such as Instagram and WeChat, are used to connect with friends and share my life daily. For these types of platforms, I would like to maintain a positive, life-enriching digital presence.